Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 361

Mozartkugeln ("Mozart Balls"): For today's entry, I originally had plans to tackle another interesting restaurant dish that I'd never had, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to improvise with something else. Luckily, the GF's parents returned from another trip abroad yesterday, and they brought back some candy that I'd never seen before. They apparently found these in Austria, and they were called Mozartkugeln (translation: Mozart Balls). Go ahead and joke about me eating balls twice in one week...I'm way ahead of you.

At first, I thought this candy wouldn't really be able to provide me with anything new, but when I asked the GF what was in them (she'd had them before), she said they were chocolate on the outside, but filled with marzipan on the inside. I'd never had marzipan, but I'd always heard it was one of those love it/hate it things. I'd knew it was made with almonds, but that's about it. How could anything covered in fine Austrian chocolate be bad, right?
Each ball was covered with a thin foil coating featuring Mozart's face, and once I unwrapped it, it's shiny surface reminded me of a Lindt truffle. Once I took a bite, I could definitely taste the marzipan filling. From what the GF told me, marzipan is basically a sweetened almond paste. I thought it was good, especially when mixed with the taste of chocolate. I'm still not sure what the lighter colored ring surrounding the marzipan/chocolate center was, but it was a bit creamy and provided some additional sweetness. The outer chocolate tasted like plain milk chocolate, but overall, it was pretty good. I don't understand why marzipan would ever have a bad reputation, but to each his own, I guess.
That was definitely the last new candy I'll be covering for this blog. Only 4 more days to go!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I just found your site and I'm so sorry I didn't find it sooner. But, these are one of my favorite candies. So, I had to send you a comment.

    These are really popular in Germany and Austria. The very inner circle is pistachio. It's surrounded by hazelnut cream, which is then encircled by the almond paste (marzipan). So good!

    Love your site..... I wish I'd found it at the beginning of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than never, right? Check out my new site (www.whoeatsthatstuff.com) when you can.

    ReplyDelete