Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 170

Ouro Branco (Brazilian Candy): Today's entry for Brazilian week is fortunately on the sweet side. The foods I've covered so far from my trip to Minas Emporium have all been savory, so I was excited to find out what this piece of Brazilian candy was all about. When I was paying for all my purchases on the way out, I noticed quite a few varieties of candy/sweets near the register. They were all pre-packaged and sold individually, so I grabbed some to take home. A couple of round, shiny pieces caught my eye, and I decided to try one of them today. First up: "Ouro Branco."
Before I unwrapped it, I wasn't at all sure what to expect. Chocolate? Fruity? Both? After removing the shiny cellophane wrapping, I was left with a small, round chunk of what looked like white chocolate, about as big as a golf ball. I cut it in half, and it seemed to consist of a center of milk chocolate covered by a layer of crunchy wafer and then the white chocolate coating. How could that be bad? I took a bite, and it instantly reminded me of the Ferrero Rocher candies that are common in most grocery stores. I really love those, so I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The wafer gave it a nice crunch, and the creamy chocolate center also had a noticeable crunch as well - maybe there were some peanuts in there?
These were a great find, and I may have to get a whole bag of them next time I go back to Minas Emporium. Incidentally, Ouro Branco are made by a Brazilian company called Lacta, which is actually owned by Kraft.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much. I recently had a guest give me one of these as they were leaving and I had no idea what it was and decided to google it. This was very helpful and they are really delicious!

    ReplyDelete