Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 172

Sonho De Valsa: Today sadly marks the end of Brazilian Week. Even though I'd rather not see it end, I've discovered some great new foods along the way. I feel like I did a fairly good job of buying a good mix of sweet and savory, but my last discovery (and today's blog post) is going to be a sweet one. A few days ago, I wrote about the candies I discovered while checking out at Minas Emporium, and the "Ouro Branco" was a pleasant surprise. Anything that reminds me of a Ferrero Rocher can't be bad, so I was eager to find out how this "Sonho De Valsa" would compare. It was packaged in an identical fashion to the Ouro Branco, but the outer wrapper was pinkish-red with different writing (and also featured a picture of a well-dressed couple dancing).
After unwrapping, I noticed that it was identical to the Ouro Blanco in size/shape, but the exterior was covered in milk chocolate instead of white. I cut it in half, and the inside was constructed the same as well, only the filling was definitely different. I popped half of it in my mouth, and the crunchy chocolate/wafer shell gave way to the creamier center. However, this center was much different than the Ouro Branco - more of a peanutty, sugary taste. I liked it just as much as the Ouro Branco, and like those, I could have easily devoured several more of these. Good stuff.
I later found out that Sonho De Valsa ("Waltz Dream" in Portuguese) is one of Brazil's best selling bonbons, and it's been around since the 1930's. The center is actually a cashew/praline filling, and it's apparently used in a lot of recipes. I can see why - these things are super tasty. I'll definitely be buying more next time I see them.

I hope all my readers enjoyed Brazilian Week, and thanks to Minas Emporium for the great supplies! I have a lot more eating to do, so I'll plan another theme week soon. Please feel free to offer suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment