Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 174

Wallaby Australian Style Maple Yogurt: Ok, so today's new food may not be as exciting as some of the stuff I've been blogging about over the last few days, but not everything I find can be sensational. While doing a bit of ill-advised dinner shopping this afternoon at Your Dekalb Farmers Market (they were insanely, uncomfortably busy), I noticed something in the dairy section that caught my eye. I've had quite a few different types of yogurts during the course of my blog, but I'd never heard of "Australian Style." This one, made by Wallaby, is the first one I'd seen that was called that, and it was also maple flavored. I like maple, and wasn't sure what "Australian Style" was, so that was good enough for me to consider trying.
I've found that there isn't much variation with yogurt, regardless of what the packaging claims. Greek yogurt is the only one that's had a noticeably different texture/taste to me, but I was curious to see if this one surprised me. After opening the lid and stirring, it didn't look any different than any other creamy yogurt I've eaten. I took a bite, and wasn't surprised to find that it didn't really taste any different either. However, the subtle maple flavor was pretty good - just a hint of maple syrup taste in the finish. I could see eating this as a light dessert or snack, but I don't understand what was "Australian" about it. It just seemed like yogurt to me.

Regarding real Australian cuisine, I know virtually nothing, except that they like Vegemite. And I'm guessing Outback doesn't count. I need to do some research and find out what's really eaten there.

No comments:

Post a Comment