Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 200

Honey Murcott Tangerine: Today's new food wasn't a surprise find, but it wasn't my first choice for something to blog about. I had planned on eating a sample cup of vegan cheddar cheese that I scored from Whole Foods on Ponce last week, and when I went to try it today, it had gone bad. Not moldy bad, but crunchy, dried out bad. I'm no expert on vegan food, but I'm guessing that crunchy cheese isn't a good thing.

That being said, it was time for plan B. I had a new type of tangerine in the fridge from that trip to Whole Foods, and luckily it hadn't gone bad. I actually found two new types of tangerine last week (you may remember the "pixie" I wrote about), and I was glad that this one had survived a week in storage. Time to try.

At first glance, it looked like any other tangerine I've eaten: about the size of a tennis ball, with a firm skin like an orange. I've found that there aren't usually a lot of variances between hybrids of the same types of fruit. One usually isn't much better or different than the other to me, with the exception of pears, which can be much different from hybrid to hybrid. Based on the name, I estimated that this one might be a bit sweeter than normal. Let's find out.
I cut it in half, and it looked like many other citrus fruits. I didn't see any seeds, which made me happy (I hate eating around seeds). I peeled off a segment and took a bite, and it honestly tasted no different from other tangerines I've tried. Sure, it was juicy and sweet, almost like a miniature orange, but offered nothing new for me. That's the risk I run when choosing foods for this blog, and it's really difficult to find something entirely new every day. As long as I've never eaten it before, it counts.
Maybe I'll cruise by Whole Foods tomorrow and see if they still have that vegan cheddar cheese. I've had several types of fake meat, but never fake cheese. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment