Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 211

Balsamic-Roasted Tofu: OK, so I know today's post may make it sound like I'm cheating. I've obviously eaten tofu before (even recently with the "chick-n' fried" specimen), but this preparation that I found on the Whole Foods salad bar the other day was something new to me. I've had tofu a lot of different ways (pan-fried, deep-fried, baked), but never balsamic-roasted. It was just interesting enough for me to grab one of my trusty sample cups and take some home. Since it was a cold dish, I knew it would keep for a few days until I got to it.

According to WF's description, the tofu dish included roasted garlic, red pepper, black pepper, rosemary and basil. I love all those ingredients on their own, so I was looking forward to finding out how they blended with the balsamic-roasted tofu. Tofu is definitely my favorite meat replacement food, even though I rarely eat it. Let's find out what this one was all about.
My first bite tasted like, well, firm tofu. I did detect a faint balsamic flavor, but the cooking method didn't seem like it sealed in much of it. The rosemary was probably the standout flavor (I noticed several sprigs throughout the mix), but the "roasted" garlic was more like raw instead. I could see eating this in the spring/summer months for a light entree or side, but I don't think it's anything I'm dying to return to.

If you're worried about my blog developing a full-time Whole Foods theme, relax. I've got some more adventurous shopping planned for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment