Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 227

"Golden Cornfield" Candy: After the last couple days of savory Russian food, I thought I'd try something sweet for a change. I actually didn't get this candy from my trip to the European Deli, but from the Classic Russian Deli (the one on Covington Highway that was a major disappointment). It still fits into my Russian/Eastern European theme for the week, so I decided to go ahead and give it a shot tonight.
I've enjoyed all the Russian candies I've tried in the past, but they can be extremely hard to identify due to their lack of English on the packaging. Actually, I couldn't identify this one at all until the GF found the company's website written in tiny print on the wrapper - obviously, she has much better eyesight than I do. Once I did a bit of digging and translating on their website (www.odessalux.com), I what discovered this strawberry-shaped chocolate candy was actually called. They listed it as "golden cornfield," which was a bit mystifying. Time to eat and figure out what this "cornfield" is all about.
Due to its strawberry shape, I thought this one might have some sort of fruity filling. I unwrapped it, and it had a chocolate exterior covered with crunchy wafer pieces. After my first bite, I noticed that it wasn't fruity at all, but filled with a malted milk-like substance that reminded me of a chewier Whopper (the candy, not the burger). Not bad, but considering that Whoppers are one of my favorite candies, this one paled in comparison. And I still have no idea what they meant by the "golden cornfield."
I'll be trying a few more Russian candies over the next few days, as well as a couple truly unusual finds from the European Deli. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment