Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 222

Gingerbread with "Raspberry Aroma": I know the description of this item sounds strange, but I took it right off the label. Before you get too confused, let me back up. Earlier this week, I decided to give the elusive "Classic Russian Deli" on Covington Highway another shot. I tried to visit it a few weeks ago, and after finally locating it down a barren alley of car repair shops, I decided it was too sketchy and gave up. I happened to see another picture of it in Atlanta Magazine in their recent "best of" issue, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try again. However, this time, I brought the GF with me for backup.

Once we got inside the market, I quickly realized that we'd wasted our time. I have no idea how this place got nominated for "best" anything - the minimal shelving wasn't stocked with much, and the barren freezers/refrigerators weren't any better. The whole place was dimly lit and a bit on the humid side, and it looked nothing like the picture I saw in the magazine. Rather than give up and go home, I decided to make the best of the trip and buy a couple of things.

I spotted these gingerbread things in a large box near the end of the store. They must be popular with someone, because the market had them in about a million different flavors. As with many Russian/Eastern European products, there wasn't much English on the label, but they looked to be gingerbread cookies with "raspberry aroma." Hmm, ok. I didn't know what that meant, but I grabbed a bag to take home anyway.
I finally got around to giving these a try today, and I was pretty happy with the results. Despite being a bit dry and crumbly, they actually tasted pretty good. The cookie was standard gingerbread (made from wheat flour, sugar, vegetable oil), and the "raspberry aroma" resulted in a subtle raspberry taste that didn't overpower the other flavors. Not bad, and I managed to eat a few of them with my coffee before giving up. I can't picture buying them again, but I'm glad I tried.
As far as the "Classic Russian Deli" is concerned, don't bother. You'll find a much better selection of Russian/Eastern European products at New Odessa or the BHFM.

No comments:

Post a Comment