Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 12

Thailand Chili Ball: Ok, so when I saw this at the Dekalb Farmer's Market, I wasn't sure what to expect. The name wasn't too descriptive (chili ball?) and it appeared to be some sort of snack food in the Asian section. It looked like some kind of cracker, and I spotted little flakes on each piece that looked like nori (seaweed)

I finally opened these today, and my guesses were pretty much right. Each piece is a tiny super-crunchy ball made from glutinous rice, soy sauce, starch, paprika, nori, and a few other ingredients. I ate a few handfuls of them, and quickly noticed a burn, which made sense when I noticed that the last ingredient listed was "liquid chili." My forehead immediately broke out in a sweat, since I have a really low tolerance to heat. However, I couldn't stop eating them - these would make a great bar snack in any restaurant, maybe accompanied by a beer. Who needs those lame peanuts or Chex Mix?

Follow me on Twitter @whoeatsthtstuff

No comments:

Post a Comment