Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 4

Lychee: Another new fruit for me this week. After the ataulfo mango mildly let me down, I figured today would be a good day to try the fresh lychees I picked up at the market. I've seen plenty of lychee flavored items in restaurants (usually cocktails), but I've never had a raw, unadulterated lychee. It's a primarily Asian fruit that looks sort of like an oversize grape with a rough outer texture.

Before eating, I had to use a sharp knife to make a cut in the leathery outer skin. Once I peeled that off, I had a shiny looking fruit that looked like a large peeled grape. You know that game that kids play at Halloween parties with the bowl of "eyeballs" that are actually peeled grapes? These would be much better - the texture after peeling was gross and slimy. I took a bite, and it reminded me a lot of red grape, only not as tart. There's also a large pit in the middle, but a fair amount of fruit surrounding it. It was good, but not something I'd crave again. If you like red grapes, you'd probably dig lychees.

3 comments:

  1. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128951468
    Glad you tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said on twitter I'm back reading. I LOVE lychees! I have not had them since living in Canada.

    ReplyDelete