Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 9

Roti Canai: This was an unexpected and tasty find today. I met a friend for lunch at Aqua Bistro in Buckhead - he picked the location, so I wasn't sure what was in store. As I perused the mostly standard Japanese/Thai/Sushi menu, I noticed something I'd never had before: Roti Canai. It was described as an Indian-style pancake, with a curry dipping sauce. I've had curry plenty of times, but never roti. So, of course, I ordered.

The "pancake" was a light, buttery flatbread that pulled apart easily. It tasted like it had been cooked in a bit of oil, and with its airy consistency, I could easily imagine eating it for breakfast. The dipping sauce was like many other yellow curries I've had, and was served with a few chunks of potato, carrot and onion inside. However, it was a bit sweeter than any other yellow curry I've had, so I wonder if it was sweetened a bit for the roti to be dipped in? I have almost no experience with Indian food, but if the rest of it is this tasty, I must try more. If anyone has any recommendations for Indian cuisine in ATL, please let me know!

Follow me on Twitter @whoeatsthtstuff

7 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds tasty. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend:
    http://www.srikrishnavilas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roti canai is also found a lot in Indonesian/Malaysian restaurants. The one that you got today looks inferior (sorry) to the one at Penang on BuHi. The one there is beautiful, the brread is "handkerchief" bread and it is meant to be dipped in and eaten with the chicken curry. Almost every table there has everyone eating it. Go try the roti canai at Penang....it will change your life! The rest of the food there is fantastic also and you can try some homemade cookies that the owner makes from pineapples, they are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, will try and hit up Penang sometime, for sure - it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roti Canai is awesome. I accidentally ordered it at Top Spice and really liked it. I get it as my appetizer almost every time I go there now.

    It's a shame until I was in college I thought wonder bread was what bread was supposed to taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zyka on Scott Blvd. -- get the Chicken 65!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Indian. My favorite place in the city is Planet Bombay in Little 5 Points. Some dishes I recommend (I like sweet, fruity, creamy stuff, so take that into consideration...): Goat Rayzala, Pasanda (I like it with lamb, chicken or goat are good too though!), Bhuna, Samosa, Peshwari naan (they might call it shahi naan) and mango lassi. Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete