Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 145

"Apple" Banana: If some of you have been checking back today in hopes of reading my post about trying pig tongue, I apologize. I went out for dinner unexpectedly tonight, and after a killer cheeseburger at Craftbar, I wasn't really up for stuffing strange pig parts in my mouth. That'll come tomorrow, but for today, I decided to try this unusual piece of fruit I found during my shopping trip at the Super H Mart a few days ago. I spied these tiny bananas in the produce section, but at first couldn't figure out what they were or how they were different. My only clue was the small label from Del Monte, which labeled it as an "apple" variety. I had no idea what that meant, but I knew it was something perfect for me to try.
The first difference was the size - it was about half of a regular banana, but the same shape. The outer skin was a bit rougher and paler in color, and I was curious to see what the "apple" label was all about. I peeled it and took a bite, and the flavor surprised me. It really did have a fruity, tart taste, almost like a regular banana that hasn't ripened. The fruit flavor became more obvious with each bite, and I actually detected a mango (not apple, actually) flavor that was really interesting. Good stuff. I also liked the small size, since I often end up not eating the whole banana after I peel it.

I'd definitely buy these again, especially since I prefer bananas when they're in their tart, under-ripe stage. Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment