Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 161

Sweet Potato Gnocchi: I know that gnocchi might seem like an ordinary food, but when the GF told me that she'd bought this version made with sweet potato, I was intrigued. I've had gnocchi several times, but I didn't know that it could be made from sweet potato. Apparently she found this frozen version at Trader Joe's, and as my readers know, I do a lot of eating/shopping from their Midtown store. This TJ's product was microwaveable, and was packaged in a brown butter and sage sauce. I love that flavor combination, so I was eager to try this gnocchi.
After heating in the microwave for a few minutes, I took the gnocchi out and got the dish ready to eat. It smelled amazing, and the combination of the brown butter and sage made me instantly hungry. After it cooled, I took a bite, and the texture was pretty much like any other gnocchi I've had: soft, chewy and a tiny bit grainy. The flavor was a bit sweeter due to the use of the sweet potato, but other than that, it wasn't much different. The brown butter and sage sauce gave the whole dish a smoky, rich taste, and I could have easily eaten the entire package as a meal -  good thing we actually made chicken and green beans to accompany it.As a main dish, it would have probably been a bit too greasy and rich on its own.
If you see this dish at TJ's, make sure to give it a try. As good as gnocchi made from plain potatoes is, this richer, more buttery version shouldn't be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment