Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 154

Korean Melon: After a great Vietnamese lunch yesterday, it was great to get back to some real shopping for the blog. Obviously the weather messed me up for a few days, but it was way past time to venture out and look. Since I was close to the BHFM, me and GF decided to stop in for some browsing. I had never seen them that busy - guess the bad weather made everyone want to shop since it was actually nice yesterday. As usual, I hit the produce section on the way in and found a few interesting new things. Like I said before, it's getting harder to find new things there. I've eaten my way through a lot of their usual inventory, so now I usually look for new arrivals or specialty items.

When I spotted this Korean melon, it looked interesting enough to try. I didn't know anything about this variety, but I'm usually not a big fan of any sort of melon. It never tastes like much to me, and I regard it as "filler fruit," especially in fruit salads. Anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I picked out a small specimen, and it ended up costing about $1. Not bad.
I decided to try it today, but before I did, I had to do some research on how to eat it. That's a fairly common practice for me, since a lot of the items I buy don't exactly come with directions. One website I found instructed me to slice it lengthwise, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then peel the outer skin, leaving the firm inner flesh for consumption. OK, done.
Once I prepared it for eating, I was actually quite happy with the results. It was much sweeter than cantaloupe or honeydew, and had a clean, fruity flavor that was surprising. The flesh was more on the crunchy side, almost like a cucumber. Even though I'm not crazy about melon, I liked this Korean version and could have easily eaten a bit more of it. From what I've read, this variety is frequently served as dessert, sometimes with a bit of sugar added. I'm not sure if I'd replace my usual dessert options with this, but it was still tasty.

2 comments:

  1. My hub and I were also at both BHFM and the Super H that's right by it on Sunday and they were both CRAZY. We couldn't even get a cart at BHFM and their damn big tubs of yogurt (close to the front and right by the Eastern European section) were still close to being out of date (same as 2 weeks ago!) so we left and went to Super H. The elbowing, eye gouging and pinching by the old Korean ladies was even more severe than usual! I wonder if folks are getting ready to Lunar New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a problem with the freshness of goods at BHFM, but I agree, weekends are crazy there. I prefer to go during the week if I can.

    ReplyDelete