Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 152

Irish Cheddar & Porter Cheese: Today's new food is actually one I first learned about last weekend, but I just got around to trying it today. I attended a post-holiday party thrown by my uncle that lives in Avondale Estates, and in addition to plenty of other great foods, he had a nice cheese selection featuring a couple varieties I'd never had. I noticed one interesting one that looked new to me - it had a dark brown and yellowish marbled appearance that I assumed was a mixture of a couple different kinds of cheese. I was wrong: it was actually cheddar mixed with porter-style beer. I love cheese and beer, so I was eager to take a piece of this home for sampling later.
Upon sampling this firm-textured cheese, I noticed that it had a fairly sharp and tangy taste, with some sweetness that followed after (which I assume comes from blending the beer in). I'm not sure where he bought this, but it was tasty. There aren't many Irish beers that I don't love (well, except for maybe Killian's Red), and I really enjoyed the mix of the tangy cheddar with the malty, sweet porter. Much like the ubiquitous chocolate and peanut butter, I love it when 2 great tastes taste great together. Good stuff.

If anyone can recommend more cheeses that feature beer as an ingredient, please let me know. I know the Rogue Brewery produces a few, but I'm not sure where to find them in the ATL area.

No comments:

Post a Comment