Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 109

Spaghetti Squash: I'm proud to say that once again, today's post involved me actually cooking a new food instead of relying on something pre-packaged or ready to eat. A few days ago, the GF recommended that I try spaghetti squash - I'd never heard of it, but after hearing her description and doing a bit of research, it sounded interesting. Spaghetti squash looks like many others on the outside, but after cooking, the insides are scraped out, resulting in a fibrous flesh that's supposed to look just like cooked spaghetti. They're pretty easy to find, and I ended up buying one at YDFM on my last trip a couple days ago. The plan was to make a simple recipe including the squash, onion, feta, basil and tomato.


The recipe I found online instructed me to cut the squash in half lengthwise, pull out the seeds/pulp, then cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. After it cooled, I scraped out the insides with a spoon, and the end result really did looked like overcooked spaghetti. The football-sized squash yielded quite a bit of "spaghetti," and I tossed it with the sauteed onion/garlic, tomato, feta and basil. The squash actually tasted a lot like al dente spaghetti, but with a noticeable vegetable texture. I can't say it tasted like much on its own (much like pasta), but the additional ingredients really made it a tasty dish. I'd highly recommend it to anyone that likes pasta, but wants to cut back on the carbs. Good stuff.

3 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash! Care to post the recipe details?

    CD
    @RandomOenophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister LOVES this stuff........I am not as wild about it. Although, your recipe sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/Detail.aspx. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete