Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day 115

Kaju Pista Roll: After being really impressed with my first attempt at Indian sweets last night, I was eager to try more today. I bought several different homemade sweets yesterday from Taj Mahal Imports, which is a market carrying all sorts of amazing Indian goods. The "manpasand" candy from yesterday was super tasty, and today's entry was just as good.

The sweets counter at Taj Mahal had way too many choices for me to wade through, but I narrowed it down to a few that looked good. I was intrigued by these "kaju pista" rolls - they looked like little tubes of dough that had been filled with some strange greenish substance, then cut into bite-sized pieces. I really didn't know what I was getting into, but I bought a couple to take home. I like sweets in general, so how could they be bad?
After taking a bite of one, I was pleasantly surprised. The roll had a Play-Doh like consistency, but was mildly sweet. A little interwebs research told me that these were made from a mixture of cashew and pistachio paste, which wasn't surprising - the pistachio flavor was really obvious. The recipe also called for ghee (a staple in Indian cuisine), milk and sugar. The green "filling" was simply food coloring, and I assume that's just added for looks. I wish I'd bought a lot more of these, and I definitely plan on doing so next time.

If you like marzipan, you'd probably like kaju pista, although it's not nearly as sweet/rich as marzipan. Highly recommend.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out "The Jerusalem Bakery" on Franklin Road near the intersection of the South Loop in Marietta. Lots of yummy middle eastern treats that you would find to your liking! Let me know when you go & I'll meet you there & help you with choices!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete