Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 121

Hachiya Persimmon: I should preface this post by saying that I wasn't too excited about trying this Hachiya persimmon. I tried the fuyu variety of persimmon awhile back, and wasn't at all impressed with the results. However, when the GF brought me this hachiya from Your Dekalb Farmers Market, I couldn't say no. I hoped this one was better than the fuyu.
At first glance, it looked a bit different than the fuyu variety. It reminded me of an over-ripe tomato in texture, and the skin felt soft to the touch. According to Wikipedia, the hachiya is best once the entire fruit is softened, which is the opposite of how we choose a lot of other fruits. Once I sliced it open lengthwise, it still reminded me of a tomato, with a soft, mushy center. The directions I found online intstructed me to scoop out the flesh with a spoon, leaving the outer skin to be discarded. Once I did that, I took a bite, and the texture reminded me a lot of a peach. The flavor was definitely not peachy, though - it was super sweet. The best comparison I can think of would be a peach with all the tartness removed. Not too bad, but not really one of the best flavors I've experienced.

I'm generally not a fan of fruits that are all sweet with no tart, so I'm not sure I'd try this one again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment