Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 123

Moussaka: I wasn't planning on eating in a restaurant again tonight after last night's meal, but when the GF suggested getting some Greek fare at Taverna Plaka, I couldn't say no. I love most Greek food, but I usually find myself eating it in quick-service establishments like Mediterranean Grill in Atlanta. Taverna Plaka is a little more upscale, and they have several dishes that I hadn't seen before on other simpler Greek menus. I was trying to decide what to order, and the GF suggested moussaka. She explained that it was sort of a "Greek lasagna," made from layering slices of eggplant, zucchini and potato, then baking it.
Taverna's version also included ground beef, and the whole thing was topped with a creamy bechamel sauce, then baked. It sounded really tasty, so I eagerly ordered. When our server brought the dish, it really did look like lasagna - the whole thing was layered just like it, and served on top of a small amount of tomato sauce. Not exactly light eating, but I really enjoyed it. The layers of vegetables were cooked well, almost into a pasta-like consistency, and the ground beef added a savory element that the vegetables probably couldnt supply on their own. I could have probably used a little more of the tomato sauce to balance out the richness of the bechamel and beef, but it was good nonetheless.

Definitely one of the better Greek dishes I've had, but make sure you come hungry if you want to tackle an order of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment