Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 320

Vietnamese Yogurt with Lime: Today's new food was somewhat unexpected, and contrary to what the picture looks like, was not a beverage! I had lunch today at Lee's Bakery on Buford Highway with my friend who's visiting from VA. He hadn't had Vietnamese cuisine in awhile, and I wanted to introduce him to Lee's banh mi, which is my fave in town. In addition to those and some pho, I also hoped to find something new there. Luckily I did, at the bottom of the dessert menu. I'd never heard of Vietnamese yogurt, but I had a feeling it wouldn't be like Yoplait.
I expected the dish to be served in a cup or bowl like any other yogurt, but when the server brought a pint glass filled with a creamy white liquid and ice, I was surprised. Was it supposed to be a beverage? Not exactly - there was also a spoon in the glass, accompanied by a sizable straw. The mixture seemed to be a little thinner than traditional yogurt, and it had a taste that was sweet and tart at the same time. I'm not sure what type of lime flavoring was used, but I think I tasted some actual pieces of fruit, which is good. Overall, I liked it, but it was rather rich and hard to finish after knocking out an entire banh mi.

It's funny to think about how difficult it is for me now to find something new at places like Lee's. Not sure if that's good or bad, but one thing's for sure - I've eaten a lot over the last 320 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment