Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 324

Sweet Winter Melon: After previously finding so much great new food at the Great Wall Supermarket in Duluth, I figured it couldn't hurt to swing by there again yesterday while I was in the area. I also visited the nearby Assi Supermarket (more on that tomorrow), but I was able to find a few more interesting new at the Great Wall before moving on. I'm not gonna lie -shopping for this blog has become more and more difficult. While most of the ethnic markets used to thrill me every time, that's not so much the case anymore. Some days the shopping feels like a chore, and yesterday was definitely one of those days.

Despite all that, I still managed to find a few things, one of which is today's new food. The Great Wall has a really nice bulk dried food section, which has allowed me to buy small tastes of several new items. When I saw this "sweet winter melon," I couldn't decide if it was fruit or candy, so I grabbed a couple pieces to take home. Its bright green color didn't look natural, but then again, I'd never seen a winter melon.
I decided to give it a try tonight for what I assumed would be dessert. It looked like it was candied or coated in sugar, and when I bit into it, all I tasted was sweetness at first. However, once I chewed a couple of times, I definitely tasted the melon. It reminded me of what a candied piece of sweet honeydew would taste like, but considering I'm not a big honeydew fan, it didn't do much for me. The inside was moist and chewy, and I'm guessing this one is exactly what I thought it was - candied winter melon.

Unless you love melon or candied fruits, I'd pass on this one. I didn't think the melon worked well with the sweetness, but I'd still be up for trying it plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment