Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 330

Basil Seed Drink with Honey: As my readers know, I don't usually count beverages or condiments for this blog, but when I discovered today's new food at the Assi Market in Duluth last week, I knew I might have to make an exception. When I spotted this unusual looking bottle on the shelf, my curiosity level was high. It's not often that you see beverages with stuff floating in them, and based on the description, it sounded tasty. And hey, basil seeds are solid food, right? I had to have it, so I put one in my basket to take home.
After spotting it in my fridge today, I went ahead and popped the top so I could try it. The liquid inside was sort of a translucent yellow, with what I assumed to be basil seeds floating throughout. I shook it up, then poured a few ounces into a glass with ice. Bottoms up.
Despite having "honey" in the name, it wasn't nearly as sweet as I expected. It had a light honey flavor, with a bit of a fruity aftertaste, and the basil seeds provided a squeaky crunch that reminded me of the tapioca pearls in bubble tea. Remember that fruit-flavored "Orbitz" drink from the late 90's that had the gelatin balls floating in it? That's the closest thing I can think of to compare it to. Despite the strange texture of the basil seeds, I really liked this one, and I bet it'd be good in a summer cocktail.

Artisanal mixologists, here's your next hot ingredient.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you collected some tadpoles from a creek. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it did look like that! Luckily, it tasted much better.

    ReplyDelete