Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 322

Dried Tofu "Snack Bean": I'm finally down to my last item from my shopping trip to the Great Wall Supermarket in Duluth, and it's definitely a strange one. I wasn't sure what to think of it when I saw it on the shelf, and honestly, it looked like vacuum-sealed vomit. Not exactly appetizing, but looks can be deceiving. From what I could tell, it was tofu that had been dried, then marinated in soy sauce. I like both those ingredients independently, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try.
I opened the bag as a late-night snack tonight, and I expected the bizarre looking contents to somewhat change once the seal was broken. However, they didn't, and the dog food-like appearance didn't exactly make me want to go further. Anyway, I broke off a small piece and tried, and the results were actually much more palatable than I anticipated. Just like the name said, it tasted like dried, chewy tofu, marinated in a sweet soy sauce. I can't imagine this one being used in any sort of dish, so it's probably best consumed as a "snack bean," as advised by the packaging.
I'm glad it didn't taste like either of the things it looked like, but I doubt I'd seek this out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment