Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 326

Rabbit Confit: After a less-than-stellar day, I wasn't in the mood to cook, so me and the GF decided to hit Top Flr in Midtown for dinner. I've had several great meals (and blog posts) there, and even though I wasn't anticipating any potential posts from tonight's dinner, I wound up finding one anyway. In addition to some tasty cocktails and a couple of small plates, I also had the pleasure of tasting something brand new to me: rabbit confit.

If you aren't familiar with confit, Wikipedia defines it as a "generic term for various kinds of food that have been immersed in a substance for both flavor and preservation." Meats are usually cooked in fat then preserved in fat, but the fat can sometimes be from a different animal. Top Flr's version featured rabbit, which was served shredded in a hand-cut parpardelle pasta dish.
From first glance, it looked exactly like pieces of white meat chicken. I expected it to be much darker, but it wasn't at all. Once I tried it, I actually couldn't find much difference in flavor from chicken, which really surprised me. It was a little bit richer in flavor, but if presented in a blind taste test, I'd be hard-pressed to tell a difference. Don't get me wrong - it was extremely moist and tender, but it didn't offer the new experience that I was expecting.

We also had a hummus dish as well as the apple-orange tofu, which recently made Creative Loafing Atlanta's "100 Best Dishes" list. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment