Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 325

Soft Cookie with White Bean Paste: After doing some blog shopping at the Great Wall Market in Duluth this past Monday, I couldn't resist checking out the Mozart Bakery next door. I'd been to the one on Buford Highway once before, and I loved their Asian-style pastries and bubble tea. I was curious to see if this one offered the same inventory, and while it wasn't quite as extensive as the one on Bu-Hi, I didn't leave without finding something.

I've definitely eaten my fair share of Asian pastries during the blog, but I've never tried anything featuring white bean paste. Red bean paste seems to be the more popular choice with these desserts, so when I saw this cookie/pastry filled with sweetened white bean, I was interested. It looked to have been baked then sprinkled with sesame seeds, but I was curious to find out what the filling was all about.
Once I got the wrapper off, I discovered that it wasn't much different from the varieties filled with red bean. The pastry itself (made from flour, milk, sugar, salt, butter, eggs) was light and flaky, and the white bean filling was slightly grainy and a bit less sweet than the red bean type. If the idea of a sweetened, pureed bean filling doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you should try it before you make up your mind - it's actually good. The mild sweetness can be a welcome change from the sugar overload of most desserts.
 I liked this one, but it didn't offer much of anything new for me. Oh well - no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment