Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 337

Pirozhochki with Cheese: Anyone who has read this blog knows how much I love the Eastern European section at the Buford Highway Farmers Market, especially the fresh pastry and dessert counter. In addition to some awesome sweets, they also sell a small selection of savory pastries filled with meat, cheese, or vegetables. No offense to vegetables, but the meat/cheese varieties are definitely my favorite.

I've pretty much had all of the counter's savory pastries at this point, but I noticed one during my last visit called "pirozhochki" that I'd never seen before. Much like the pierogis, pirozhkis, and samsas I've had before, this one looked like a little pastry turnover, and was filled with farmer cheese. I love the saltiness of farmer cheese, so I knew I had to take one of these home to try it.
Once I got it reheated for a snack today, I hoped it had held up well since buying. The flaky exterior was light and buttery, with a scattering of sesame seeds. Once I cut into it, I noticed that the cheese filling looked a lot like cream cheese, but a bit more textured. Luckily, it tasted as good as it looked. The pastry tasted great, even after hanging out in the fridge for a couple days, and the farmer cheese brought the creaminess and saltiness that I expected. It was just as good as any of the meat filled Eastern Euro pastries I'd had before, and at only $0.75, it was a great little snack.
After doing some research, I'm not exactly sure how these are different from piroshkis. They seem to be extremely similar, but this pirozhochki definitely tasted different - it was much more buttery, and probably better suited for breakfast. It looked like a cross between a piroshki and a samsa, but either way, it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment