Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 267

Gits Bombay Halwa Mix: Remember how I recently talked about how difficult it was becoming for me to find new foods, even in places as diverse as the Buford Highway Farmers Market? Well, luckily, I found a new place to look in the BHFM that has supplied me with a whole new resource. I tend to pull from the Asian sections there since I like the food so much, but on my last visit, I stumbled on the Indian aisle and was extremely surprised. Despite having tried a few Indian dishes here and there, I know very little about Indian cuisine.

In addition to lots of snacks, sauces, and spices, the aisle also had a section featuring some inexpensive powdered mixes made by the Gits company. A lot of these were desserts (which I always love), so I picked out a couple and took them home. I've found that Indian desserts are much less sweet than what I'm used to, so I was curious to find out how this one compared. I wasn't sure what "halwa" was, but the picture on the box reminded me of Jell-O.
According to the label, this "famous souffle" had a "satiating characteristic that makes it a favorite for weight-watchers." The only ingredients were sugar, agar-agar (a gelatin thickening agent), skim milk powder, almonds, pista, cardamom and saffron. Preparation was easy (mix w/milk, boil, then pour in dish to set), so I decided to give it a try this afternoon as a snack.
Once the mixture set, I cut a piece from the pan to try. It definitely had a Jell-O like texture, but I knew it wouldn't taste like the stuff I grew up eating in my grandmother's Jell-O salads. The taste was interesting - kind of like a creamy gelatin, but with a tasty dose of cardamom and saffron. Not bad, and I can see how this would be a great dessert for "weight watchers," as the package states. Other than milk and a bit of sugar, there isn't much else to it.
Look for more new Indian treats to come in the next few days. I'm really looking forward to trying them after discovering this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment