Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 288

Vanilla Pastille "Lyanezh": I was in dire need of new foods today, so I headed down to the Buford Highway Farmers Market for a bit of shopping. I wanted to go there to search for squash blossoms (me and the GF were going to attempt a recipe), but I quickly struck out on those. I obviously couldn't leave without doing some more shopping, so I made the rounds and went through all my favorite sections.

I've had plenty of good luck in the Eastern European aisles, and they always have a sale section going with some great buys. Luckily, there was a small sample of something there called "lyanezh," and from what I could tell, it looked like some sort of candy. As with most Eastern European foods, there wasn't a lot of English written on the packaging, but the label on the back described it as "vanilla pastille with pieces of candy." It was made from sugar, syrup, water, apple puree, egg powder, agar, and various fruit flavors.
I love it when I can sample something for free and not have to buy, so I gave this one a shot. It reminded me of firmer, grittier cake icing, with chunks of jellybean-like gummi candy mixed throughout. It had an overall fruity taste, and based on the ingredients, I wasn't surprised by it's syrupy sweetness. Not something I'd want to eat a lot of, but I've never tasted anything before that I'd compare it to directly.
I managed to also find a lot of other great foods that I had to actually pay for. Too bad you can't sample everything in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment