Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 289

Thai Banana: In addition to some great packaged foods from various cuisines, I also managed to find some great new produce to take home from the Buford Highway Farmers Market. I hadn't been finding much there over the past few visits, but with the seasons changing, they luckily had some new inventory for me to check out. As I've mentioned before, I love using produce for this blog, since it's a great way for me to find small amounts of food for a super-inexpensive price.
I've tried several types of banana during the course of this blog, but when I saw this Thai variety yesterday, I knew I had to take one home. They were considerably smaller than the standard yellow ones found in most grocery stores, and the skin wasn't nearly as brightly colored.
I figured it would be a good food to pair with breakfast, so I gave it a try this morning. When I peeled the skin, it looked like any other banana on the inside. However, I definitely noticed some differences once I took a bite. The flavor was a bit brighter and tangier than I expected, almost like an under-ripe yellow banana, and the texture was noticeably mushier. Not like a over-ripe one - it still had some firmness. Really tasty, and I quickly devoured the whole thing in 2 or 3 bites. If you like bananas at all (or don't always want the bigger size), give these a shot if you see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment