Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 278

Scotch Egg: Even though I was out of new food today, I just wasn't in the mood to do any shopping. The pressure to shop for new food is one element of this blog that I definitely will not miss once it's over. Anyway, with that in mind, me and the GF decided to hit H. Harper Station on Memorial Drive for dinner. We'd been before and really enjoyed it, and based on their online sample menu, I knew they'd probably have something that would be new to me.

Once we got there, I was glad to see that tonight's menu featured something that was mentioned on the sample: the scotch egg. I'd heard of this delicacy before, but I wasn't even sure if it actually involved egg as an ingredient. When the GF informed me that it was basically a hard-boiled egg surrounded by a ground sausage shell, I was in. Oh, did I mention it was also deep-fried?
H. Harper Station's version featured house-ground sausage covering the egg, with grilled asparagus and remoulade on the side. The "egg" was a bit bigger than a tennis ball, and it resembled a large croquette or arancini. Once we cut it in half, the real magic happened. The center of the egg was still runny, which my readers probably know is one of my favorite things in the world. Almost anything can be made better with a runny egg, so I was super excited about trying this one.
Honestly, this was one of the best dishes I've tried in awhile. The fried ground sausage exterior had a salty crunch that was irresistible, and combined with the soft egg interior, it was an awesome flavor/texture combination. The slightly spicy remoulade was the perfect condiment for the sausage and egg, and I eagerly devoured my portion quickly. Really good stuff.

I'm glad I finally got the chance to try a scotch egg - now I have a new favorite dish. The rest of our meal was great as well, so if you haven't been to H. Harper Station, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment