Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 293

Goat Cheese & Bing Cherry Ice Cream: Today's new food post will be short and sweet, so I hope my readers don't mind. After a long day of browsing, eating, and drinking in downtown Asheville, I wound up at Ultimate Ice Cream on Tunnel Road near my hotel. I'd first heard about this place during the Foodtopia event in Atlanta, and after I sampled their unusual flavors that night, I was curious to find out what else they had.

Luckily, we were able to squeeze in right before they closed, and I eagerly scanned the flavor list in hopes of finding something new. In addition to some standard fare, they also had one unusual entry: goat cheese and bing cherry. I'd never had goat cheese (or bing cherry, for that matter) in any ice cream, so I ordered a scoop.
If you think goat cheese wouldn't work as an ice cream ingredient, you're wrong. The salty/savory element of the cheese paired well with the vanilla base, and the tartness of the cherries was a great addition as well. The goat cheese wasn't chunky, but actually blended into the base. Really good stuff.

After an exhausting day of sightseeing, it was nice to find a simple dessert that offered something new for me. Asheville has been interesting, but I'll be glad to get home to Atlanta tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment