Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 303

Trader Joe's Baingan Bharta Eggplant Curry: If you're tired of reading about my attempts at different types of Indian cuisine, fear not - today is the last one for awhile. I found this package of frozen "Baingan Bharta" eggplant curry during my last Trader Joe's visit, and since I've had good results from their frozen Indian selections, I took one of these home for good measure.

According to the box, "bharta" refers to any type of char-grilled/smoked and smashed vegetables, with eggplant being the most popular choice. TJ's version included eggplant, onion, tomato, and a generous helping of the usual Indian spices. Since I didn't have anything set aside for lunch today, I decided to give it a try with a side of TJ's garlic naan. Much to the probable dismay of all you gourmands out there, I eat a lot of TJ's food when I need a quick, simple, healthy meal. Not usually adventurous, but their foods from various cuisines definitely help.
After a few minutes in the microwave, the dish was ready. Despite the small size, the container actually contained 3 servings, so I was glad the naan kept me from eating all of it. I actually liked this one a lot - it was much lighter than the channa masala from TJ's, and not as spicy as some of the other curry dishes I've tried. The smoky mashed eggplant worked well with the tomato, onion, and spices, and I finished about half of it with the naan bread before stopping.
I'm always surprised at how good Indian vegetarian cuisine can be. Not that I'd ever consider going vegetarian, but at least there are tasty options out there if you do decide to go that route.

No comments:

Post a Comment