Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 306

Aprium: Remember how I promised to complete a real shopping trip today? Yeah, that didn't go so well. After an attempt to locate an obviously closed Vietnamese grocery on Cheshire Bridge Road, I ended up at a health food store nearby. That effort was also fruitless, literally and figuratively. Let's just say that I'm glad I don't choose a gluten-free/vegetarian/vegan diet - the selection was unappetizing, and the prices outrageous.

I ended up at the Publix on the corner of Lavista and Cheshire Bridge in hopes of finding something to at least get me through the day. As usual, I hit the produce section first, since it usually offers the greatest chance of finding something seasonal that I haven't tried before. I noticed these "apriums" after a few seconds of browsing, which I'd never heard of. They looked a lot like peaches (or apricots) with a soft, velvety skin, but I knew they'd probably offer something different. Score.
Once I got home, I gave it a try as an afternoon snack. I cut off a slice, and the texture reminded me of a under-ripe peach, but the flavor was much more tart than a peach. I have a low tolerance for tart/sour, but luckily it offered just enough sweetness for me to enjoy. It wasn't that juicy, but aside from a small pit in the middle, it offered a lot of edible fruit for the money. Good stuff.
So, what is an aprium, exactly? According to Wikipedia, it's a "complex cross of plum and apricot, requiring several generations of crosses to create a new fruit." They're only available in the U.S. in June, so I apparently snagged one of these just under the wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment