Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 298

Mexican Zucchini: I couldn't believe that my last sampling of produce bought over a week ago from the Buford Highway Farmers Market was still good today, so before it went to waste, I decided to eat it with my lunch. I'd never seen this Mexican variety of zucchini before, but it looked a lot like the kind seen in most standard grocery stores. I hoped it would offer something new in the flavor department, but there was only one way to find out.
I usually keep the cooking of zucchini pretty simple - I slice it thin, then sautee in a pan with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. I didn't want anything to interfere with the flavor too much, and after a few minutes, it was ready.
Flavor-wise, it pretty much tasted the same as any zucchini I've had before, nothing new. The skin retained a decent crunch after cooking, and the interior was a bit mushy like it's supposed to be. The olive oil/salt/pepper definitely added some needed flavor, since this particular vegetable doesn't taste like much on its own. If you like zucchini (or squash), give this Mexican variety a try if you see it - you won't be disappointed.

The next few days will cover some unusual packaged goods I found at the BHFM - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment