Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 308

Preserved Olive: Even though I eat a lot of new food for this blog, it's not every day that I'm truly stumped and surprised by something, but that's exactly what happened with today's entry. I found some interesting stuff at the Great Wall Supermarket in Duluth yesterday, and in addition to finding lots of packaged Asian foods, the market also sold some things in bulk. It was hard to narrow down my choices, but I couldn't resist these "preserved" olives. They didn't look like any olives I'd ever seen, so I selected a couple of them to take home.
I decided to give these a try this afternoon, and the results were unusual, to say the least. Each one looked more like a tiny lemon than an olive, with a bright yellow skin that was dry, not moist. I bit off a small piece, and the texture was fruit-like, but more reminiscent of citrus peel/rind than anything else. The flavor was sweet and sour, not like an olive at all, but it also had a salty, vinegar-y aftertaste that I really couldn't stomach. I truly expected this one to be more savory than sweet, but I was wrong.

Preserved olives are apparently a popular Asian snack, but I don't think I'll be eating these again. I couldn't find any conclusive info about how these are preserved, so if anyone knows more about them, please feel free to educate me. Some internet sources I read say they aren't really olives, but plums. Now I'm really confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment