Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 301

Gits Brand Moong Dal Vada Mix: During my last couple trips to the Buford Highway Farmers Market, I've been surprised at how many items there are in the Indian/Pakistani section that I haven't tried. I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable with that area of cuisine, and I still haven't had the chance to actually dine in an authentic Indian restaurant, but the BHFM has some great prepared foods and mixes to tide me over until then.

I've tried a few items during this blog made by the Gits brand, but those have all been sweet and not savory. When I saw this package of moong (lentil) fritter mix, also known as "dal vada," I was really curious about trying it. How could I go wrong with any type of fried dough, right? Considering how easy the prep was (just mix w/water, then pan-fry in oil), I couldn't say no.
I decided to make these as a side with dinner tonight, so I mixed up the batter and fried each piece in oil for a few minutes on each side. The results looked like hush puppies, and I didn't expect an Indian dish to bring memories of American cuisine. The box recommended chutney or tomato ketchup as condiments, but I tried one by itself first. The flavor was a lot like a hush puppy as well - brown and crunchy on the outside, warm and bready on the inside. They were definitely more spicy, thanks to the green chile powder and cumin. I also noticed a hint of lemon, which I really liked. Me and the GF knocked out quite a few, and since we didn't have any chutney, we opted for ketchup and spicy mustard for dipping. Really good.
If you like hush puppies (or any type of fritter or fried dough), definitely give these a try if you see them. I know the BHFM has them, but I'm sure they're available at any market that sells Indian fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment