Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 304

"Eightball" Squash: In an effort to put off serious shopping until another day, I stopped by the Whole Foods on Ponce today, hoping to find something to tide me over. I've pretty much given up on WF as far as finding new foods goes, and I've eaten every selection I could possibly find on their hot bar. Those free samples have kept the blog afloat on more than one occasion, so I can't say too much bad about them.

As I browsed the produce section, I wasn't finding anything at first, but I noticed something new on one of the top shelves near the back: "eightball" squash. I'd never heard of it, but it was definitely interesting enough to count. The outside looked like regular green squash, but instead of being long and skinny, it was short, round, and about the size of a baseball (or eightball, I guess).
I was curious to find out how it compared to the other green squash I've tried, so I decided to cook it as a side with my dinner tonight. Once I sliced off the ends, I cut it in half horizontally and sliced it like an apple. The interior was like any other green squash, with some seeds circling the middle. I sauteed it for a few minutes with olive oil/salt/pepper, and in the pan, I couldn't tell any difference in appearance. Flavor-wise, it was the same as any other green squash I've had, and it retained a nice crunch after cooking.
I wish I had more to say about this one, but it's just green squash, only rounder.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that it's a mexican type. I've seen it in primarily hispanic grocery stores first.

    ReplyDelete