Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 52

Belyashi: After a lengthy Asian food binge as of late, I figured it was time to change things up a bit today. I love Eastern European food, especially the smoked fish and pickled stuff, so I headed out to a couple different locations with the GF to find some. We hit a great little market off Clairmont called New Odessa (2793 Clairmont Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30329), where we picked up some savory pastries for dinner. They also had some really tasty imported candies, but tonight's post is all about the meat pies, also known as belyashi. It's basically a round pastry filled with ground beef, then pan fried and baked.
After getting the belyashi home, I decided to heat it in the oven instead of the microwave - I didn't want the dough to get soggy. Once it was hot, I cut into it and took a bite. Delicious. The pastry was nice and flaky, and the ground beef was almost like a well-seasoned hamburger patty. Surprisingly, it wasn't that greasy. The crust reminded me of a knish, another one of my favorite foods. My only regret is that I wish I'd bought a few more of these, but I'll definitely be making a trip back to New Odessa to sample more. In addition to  homemade foods, they also have a great packaged and cold section. Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment