Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 55

Ho Tuk: Even though I made myself take a break from anything Asian this week, I spotted today's item on my last trip to the Buford Highway Farmers Market and couldn't resist trying. It was in the hot prepared foods section, back in the left corner of the massive store. I've bought plenty of great stuff from this area, but never gotten around to trying these. From what I've read, Ho Tuk is a Korean pancake-style pastry, usually filled with a mix of brown sugar, sesame seeds, peanuts and cinnamon.
Since I'd had it at home for a couple days, I decided to heat it up for a few minutes in the oven to keep it from getting soggy. Once it was hot, I cut it in half and tried, and it was really great. The brown sugar/sesame filling was a great pair with the thin dough of the pancake, and I eagerly devoured the whole thing pretty quickly. These would make a great breakfast or snack, especially with a cup of good coffee. I also learned that you can buy a packaged mix to make these at home, but that could be dangerous. Out of all the things I've tried recently, this was one of the best. Highly recommend.

1 comment:

  1. Ick..my mom LOVES the choc Halva..I am w/MH on this one!

    ReplyDelete