Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 54

Mexican Guava: While browsing the produce section at the Buford Highway Farmer's Market this week, I noticed these Mexican guavas near the front. I recently posted about my first experience with guava, but I wasn't that impressed by it. Despite that, I was curious about the Mexican variety, and tossed one in my basket to try. They were fairly inexpensive by the pound, so what did I have to lose?

The first difference was obviously the size - these were much smaller than the guava I'd tried before, and I  could easily hold 3 or 4 of these in your palm. I took a small paring knife and split it down the middle, and it looked like a smaller version of the standard guava - whitish flesh, with a core of small seeds running down the middle. I cut a piece off one of the halves and tried it. The flavor reminded me a lot of the previous guava, only a little sweeter. I actually liked this one a lot better, since the first one I tried didn't taste like much. This one had that pear-like flesh that I love, but the skin had an almost grassy aftertaste. I'd definitely eat these again, but I'd advise anyone trying  to watch out for those seeds - they don't chew easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment