Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day 66

Liverwurst: I've always heard liverwurst mentioned in various circles since I was a kid, but I've never really known what it was. Meat? Cheese? I wasn't really sure. It had been several years since I'd heard it mentioned anywhere, but the GF saw someone eating it on TV last week and told me it sounded like something I'd like. That was enough to rekindle my interest, so I set out to find some yesterday. I stopped by YDFM to look for some other items, but after swinging by the deli counter, I noticed that they had a version of liverwurst made by Boar's Head. Sold. I bought a quarter pound for less that $2 - if I didn't like it, no harm done.
I did a little research before trying, and I discovered that liverwurst is usually made from 10-20% pork liver (mainly to add liver flavor) as well as meat, fat, and various spices. The color was a little disconcerting, and I had flashbacks to the not-so-tasty potted meat I had last month. I hoped it would be better than that, and luckily, it was - much better, in fact. The texture was like bologna, but a little less molded and rigid - almost like a more solid pate. Interesting. I tried a piece by itself, and I was pleasantly surprised. Much better than the potted meat (anything's better than that), and it reminded me of a more savory/rich bologna. I put a couple of pieces on a baguette with some dijon mustard, and it made a really tasty sandwich. Not bad, and I'd definitely buy again.

Liverwurst is another great example of a food that may look and sound unappetizing, but it's really close to something lots of people already enjoy without questioning. If you're the least bit adventurous, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment