Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 58

Piroshki with Cabbage: After last week's dinner of belyashi from the New Odessa market, I was eager to try more eastern European savory baked goods. It's hard to beat their combo of flaky pastry and meat/vegetable fillings, and I have yet to try one I haven't liked. I was glad that I bought a couple extras last week - they reheat well in the oven. Today's lunch was the homemade piroshki with cabbage that I got from the BHFM. If this one was anything like the others, I was sure to enjoy.
After heating the piroshki in the oven for a bit, I cut it in half to examine the contents. Inside the flaky pastry was a filling of shredded cabbage, much like sauerkraut. Really tasty, and the cabbage filling was a nice contrast to the saltiness of the dough. It was really close in flavor/texture to the kreplach I ate a few weeks ago, and according to online sources, they're considered very similar. I still have yet to see the sweet fruit-filled versions of these, so that's next on my agenda. Considering how well these reheat, I'll definitely have to buy more on my next BHFM trip. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment