Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 102

Oyster Stuffing: I didnt expect to be surprised with a new food as a result of my parents' Thanksgiving menu, but tonight I was. When my dad told me earlier today that he was making oyster stuffing, I was intrigued. I remember it being served at various family holidays when I was a kid, but it always sounded repulsive. I didn't even know what was in it, but oysters didn't sound like something that belonged in stuffing. Of course, now I'll eat anything, so I was eager to try it for the first time.

I'm sure all my readers know what traditional stuffing is, so I'll spare the rundown of ingredients. This version contains the addition of raw oysters in the mix, which is ultimately baked in the oven till the whole thing solidifies and the oysters are cooked. The oysters my parents bought weren't fresh out of the shell, but pre-packaged in a small plastic container. Upon trying, I noticed that the flavor wasn't that different from normal stuffing, but I thought the oysters added a nice, savory contrast to the stuffing mix. When I was a kid, I expected it to taste fishy and weird, but it didn't at all. I love oysters any way I can eat them, so I really enjoyed this variation on traditional stuffing. Good stuff.

Interestingly, my mom really doesnt like the oyster version, but loves it without. To each his own, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment