Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 92

Korean Hot & Spicy Seafood Soup: I had a couple of errands to run on Buford Highway today, and I also needed to do some shopping for blog-worthy items for the week. Luckily, Bu-Hi offers lots of different options for browsing, but my travels landed me once again at Super H Mart in Doraville. Most of you are probably familiar with Super H, and they never disappoint when it comes to interesting eats. In addition to the foods I bought, they were also giving out samples of some things that were new to me. I love it when I can fulfill an entry without having to spend money, since I have a lot more eating to do over the next 9 months.

Towards the back of the store, a kiosk was set up that was selling pre-packaged ingredients to make Korean-style hot and spicy seafood soup. The employee attending the station had a pot of it going as well, and was giving out samples to anyone that asked. I took a look at the package of ingredients, and it included a huge variety of components, including shrimp, mussels, squid, smelt and several different vegetables. It also came with the needed seasoning, and I assume the idea was to dump it all in one big pot and cook.

My sample was really good - the broth was hearty, with a flavor almost reminiscent of Old Bay, but much spicier. The vegetables and seafood were cooked well, and I could have easily eaten much more than the sample provided. With the weather getting a bit cooler, this would be really great to eat on a cold, rainy day (like today, for example). Maybe next trip, I'll buy the whole packaged mix to make at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment