Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 90

"Pratzels": After having some good eats at the Sweet Auburn Market food truck event this past Thursday, me and the GF decided to take a look around inside the market. Most of the vendors were already closed for the day, but there were a couple that were still going. Right inside the front door, we noticed "Miss D's New Orleans Pralines," which was a dessert shop that sold homemade popcorn, candies, and various other treats. As we looked at Miss D's products, the GF noticed something that neither of us had heard of: "pratzels." These were basically homemade crunchy pretzels with a sweet praline coating. I remember my dad loving pralines and cream ice cream when I was a kid, but I've never known what pralines exactly are.
According to Wikipedia, pralines are "usually made by combining sugar (often brown), butter, and cream or buttermilk in a pot on medium-high heat, and stirring constantly, until most of the water has evaporated and it has reached a thick texture with a brown color." I tried a bite of the "pratzel," and it was pretty much like a standard one, but the coating of homemade pralines gave it a sweet and salty crunch. The pralines reminded me a bit of butterscotch, but with a nuttier consistency. Really tasty, and me and the GF quickly devoured the bag with ease.

I'm glad I finally know what pralines are made of, and if you're ever in the Sweet Auburn Market, check out Miss D's.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty soon you will be visiting places called "The Fudgery" or the "Fudge Boat".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, true. I have a lot more eating to do.

    ReplyDelete