Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 106

Crab Apples: Today was one of those days where I really didn't feel like making a major shopping trip for new foods, so I scrounged the produce section at the Ansley Kroger looking for anything that might be new to me. I was almost ready to give up when I noticed these crab apples displayed amongst the regular apples. Crab apples are something I've heard mentioned here and there since I was a kid, but I've never known what they were or how they compared to traditional apples. These were tiny in size, and they almost looked like a shrunken version of a red delicious. These appeared to be my only shot at new produce for today, so I threw a couple in my basket.
Before trying these, I fully expected them to be sour and not sweet. I have vague memories of eating tiny sour green apples from a tree in my backyard when I was a kid, and those weren't very appetizing. I took a bite, and was surprised - it wasn't sour at all, but sweet like a red delicious. Except for a noticeably grainier texture, it tasted really close to any other red-skinned apple I've had. I'm not really sure what crab apples are used for, and I can't imagine buying them again instead of the cheaper red delicious variety. According to Wikipedia, they're sometimes used as an ingredient in cider, but I doubt I'll be making that anytime soon.

This week is apparently gonna require more shopping for me. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment