Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 232

Cod Liver: Today marks the last of my Russian/Eastern European haul from the European Deli in Marietta, and it's a strange one, for sure. I've eaten some unusual animal parts in my time, but fish offal is something I don't have any experience with. When I saw this canned cod liver in the market last week, I knew I had to have it. I remember hearing about cod liver oil when I was a kid, and just the name alone sounded disgusting at the time. However, I've grown up, and unpleasant associations of the past just aren't enough to keep me away from something I'm curious about.
I decided to open it today over at the GF's house, and I don't think she was too thrilled (although her cats seemed to be impressed). Once I got the lid off, I was immediately hit with a fishy odor that reminded me of sardines or any other canned fish. The smell wasn't nearly as unappealing at the visual, though - it looked like a gelatinous, flesh-colored blob. Not exactly appetizing, I know.
Rather than eat this stuff by itself, the GF supplied me with some crackers to spread it on. How was it? Well, the taste wasn't much different from any canned or smoked fish I've tried, much like sardines or sprats. The texture was a bit disconcerting at first, but similar to other liver I've eaten. After a few bites, it became more palatable, but I couldn't handle more than a few bites. Maybe I'll tackle the rest over the next few days.

If you love canned or smoked fish (and aren't scared by offal), give this one a try. If you don't like all of those things, you might wanna stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment