Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 248

Maamoul: After finishing my awesome lunch at Tasty China on Monday, I noticed another destination in the same shopping center that I'd been wanting to check out for awhile: the Jerusalem Bakery (585 Franklin Rd., Suite 160, Marietta, GA 30067). Despite being full from lunch, I couldn't help myself from wandering over to check out what they had to offer. I'd read about their exceptional selection of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern baked goods, so I figured I might find something new to take home.

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the amazing smell, and even though I had a stomach full of food, I couldn't resist some browsing. The bakery counter featured baklava and a few other standards, and there were tables of freshly baked pita bread near the front of the room. The bakery had pre-packaged several kinds of sweets, and a plastic container of what appeared to be some sort of pastry sprinkled with powdered sugar caught my eye. I'm a sucker for anything featuring powdered sugar, so I asked the counter attendant what they were. She said they were called maamoul, filled with either walnuts or dates. I opted for the walnut version and took some home.
I finally got a chance to check these out today, and I was impressed. The flour pastry itself was slightly crumbly, almost like the spherical "wedding cookies" found in any grocery store, and the filling was mix of what appeared to be chopped walnuts and brown sugar. They weren't too heavy or sweet, and I could have easily eaten more of them. I really like dates as an sweet ingredient as well, so I'll definitely try that version on my next visit.
Jerusalem Bakery also features Mediterranean lunch fare as well as strombolis and calzones. If you're not too full after your next Tasty China visit, check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment