Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 247

Charoset with Maror: Today's new food came to me as a complete surprise, which is always fun. Tonight, me and the GF attended a Passover seder at one of her friend's houses, and while I had tasted most of the food there previously, I spotted something new to me on the dinner table: charoset. It looked almost like granola from a distance, but after asking what it was, I learned that it was made from a mixture of finely diced apples, nuts, cinnamon, and wine. Based on the ingredients (which I've had individually), I know that the dish sounds like something that wouldn't count as new, but once I learned how it was traditionally eaten, I knew it would be a new experience for me.
I was told that the traditional method of eating charoset was to put some on a piece of matzoh, then top with maror (horseradish with beet juice). All the components were considered kosher for Passover, so this was about as traditional as I could get with Jewish cuisine. Surprisingly, the heat from the horseradish was a nice pair with the sweetness of the charoset, and combined with the crunch of the matzoh, I really enjoyed it. I had a few more portions before moving on to some gefilte fish, which as I'm sure my readers expected, I enjoyed.
In addition to the charoset, I managed to score another new food from the host that I'm planning to write about later this week. I've been lucky with plenty of surprises this week, so here's to no shopping for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment