Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 254

Prepared Cuttlefish: I hope my readers aren't getting tired of reading about Asian snacks this week, but if you are, be patient. I was lucky enough to score some truly unique new foods courtesy of my friend's parents, and I've had a great time figuring out what they are. Today's new food is something that I've seen several times in Asian markets, but never had the chance to try: dried cuttlefish. Dried seafood is a common ingredient in Asian cuisine, but since I don't know what it's used for, I never buy it. From what my friend's parents said, these cuttlefish (packaged in Thailand) were being sold as a snack, so I was eager to finally try them this afternoon.
According to the bag, these were of the "best selected quality," and based on the appearance, I would hate to see the worst. I opened the bag and was immediately hit with an odor that reminded me of a cross between a pet store and fish food. Not good. I hoped they tasted better than they smelled.
I popped a small portion into my mouth, and fortunately, the taste wasn't bad. Kind of like any other dried fish I've tried, and the flavor was close to the dried Russian fish I attempted a few months ago. These were flavored with sugar, chili and salt, which cut the fishiness a bit. Texture-wise, they were dry and chewy, and it took quite a bit of work to get the first mouthful down. Not bad, but not something I'd seek out again.

Incidentally, I had to wash my hands after eating to get the fishy stench to go away. You better love stinky stuff if you want to try these.

No comments:

Post a Comment